The Accountant I will be a contributor to the financial close process and financial reporting for the Global Business Services group. He/she will be responsible for contributing to the production of accurate and timely reporting of monthly / quarterly / annual results at the Group level. The financial accountant will bear responsibility for certain aspects of the financial accounting results through reconciliations, analysis, and monthly journal entries. All activities of this position will be performed in conformance with our established policies as well as GAAP, SOX, and any other applicable regulatory requirements.
- 50% Participate in the monthly and quarterly accounting close, including the preparation of journal entries. Responsibilities will also include assigned accounting tasks/calulations,financial statement analysis as needed and reporting of data to support our external SEC filings. Ensure all information received by the business units, subsidiary systems, and interfaces are accurate, timely and are in compliance with all GAAP and U.S. statutory requirements.
- 35% Perform and document balance sheet account reconciliations as well as financial statement analysis on a monthly basis. Ad Hoc reporting and analysis to support the financials and other projects.
- 5% Participate in all aspects of internal and external financial and operational audits.
- 5% Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of established internal controls to ensure compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley. This will include making recommendations for enhancements or modifications to existing processes and systems. Responsible for the preparation of monthly and quarterly Sarbanes-Oxley control packages per the documented requirements.
- 5% Prepare and file all required government data surveys. Perform special projects as required.
Education and Experience Requirements
- BS Degree in Accounting required.
- Background in public accountingis a plus, Big 4 is a plus.
- Spanish language skills are required
- Prior experience as part of an accounting team within a global company is a plus.
- 0-2+ years of related experience with cost and inventory accounting for product manufacturing
- Experience in service-oriented or shared services finance organization would be a plus.
Key Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
- Strong knowledge of MS Excel. Functional ability in Word and PowerPoint. Familiarity with MS Access would also be a plus.
- Experience with Oracle’s JD Edwards or SAP is a strong plus, as well as experience with Hyperion Financial Manager (HFM).
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are needed. Must have the ability to interact with peers as well as management throughout the Company. Building relationships will be a key success factor for this position. Another key success factor will be the ability to handle ambiguity and to deal effectively with a constantly changing environment.
- A demonstrated customer service focus will be critical for this position. This is a service organization and that will require the highest commitment to understanding customer needs and meeting/exceeding their expectations.
- The successful candidate needs to be able to work in a fast paced environment, be creative, be energetic and be enthusiastic.
- The successful candidate will at times be the first person people encounter when contacting the Global Business Services Group. As a result of this visibility, he/she must ensure all communications and interactions are professional, courteous and show a desire to be of service.
Complexity and Problem Solving
- Must be a proactive problem solver with the ability to think outside the box, arriving at creative and effective recommendations for improvements and enhancements in financial and non-financial operations.
- The candidate should help make recommendations to the accounting manager for improvements to current processes.
Internal and External Contacts
This position will interact with internal teams, such as accounts payable, accounts receivable, various employees embedded in the business and global finance teams. This position may also interact with external vendors and external auditors as needed.
Other Job Requirements
The position may require occasional travel to Shire’s domestic locations
Location/Region: Exton, PA