SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
TOOLING ENGINEER (RAPTOR)
As a member of the Starship Tooling team, you will work with a team of elite engineers across multiple disciplines to design, build, and activate critical production assets required to build our next generation Raptor engine. As the first full-flow staged combustion rocket engine ever flown, Raptor has more than two times the thrust of our current Merlin engines that power the Falcon 9. Over 35 Raptor engines will power each fully re-useable Starship system, so this role is absolutely critical to ensuring the SpaceX produces enough engines for the fleet of Starships that will travel to the moon, Mars, and beyond.
- Own the design and development of production tooling for the Raptor engine with a focus in automation cells and mechanical structures
- Interact with production personnel, multidisciplinary engineering teams, and executive management to develop the production facility which meets company rate targets and quality
- Use your well-rounded technical knowledge to display proficiency in basic structural sizing, mechanisms, and design while making development decisions based on ROI and schedule considerations
- Make system level decisions by deploying new tooling, changing factory layout, suggesting flight design changes, or incorporating automated processes and equipment into production to improve rate and quality
- Balance simultaneous projects of varying scope and complexity in a fast-paced environment
- Understand full engine manufacturing processes and be flexible to help incorporate design changes by reanalyzing the manufacturing process and tooling
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- Experience using a high-end CAD software design package (e.g. NX, CATIA, or ProE)
- 1+ years experience in mechanical-related design and/or commissioning of automation, robotic cells, factory floor layouts, or controls systems for industrial applications such as automotive industry (internship and project team experience is applicable)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in mechanical, mechatronic, or electrical engineering
- Prior experience applying common manufacturing processes to designs (such as welding, machining, assembly, and inspection)
- Experience with custom machine design such as electromechanical systems, motors, actuators, linear rails, bearings, lifting/rigging, etc.
- Process integration and electromechanical/mechatronic systems experience
- Experience in a variety of robotic weld applications (Kuka, ABB & Fanuc)
- Experience with manufacturing process development, facility/line layouts and common quality tools (PFMEA, 5 Whys, etc).
- Experience with production tooling or product design in either prototype or volume environments
- Experience with NX (Unigraphics) and Teamcenter PLM systems
- Experience performing structural analysis in FEMAP, NASTRAN, ANSYS or NX Advance Simulation.
- Experience designing mechanisms, welded structures and mass efficient structures
- Strong understanding and application of GD&T
- Ability to work well in an integrated collaborative team environment including daily interactions with technicians, engineers, and managers
- Ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Travel to other SpaceX locations as necessary
- Work schedule may vary depending on site operational needs, and flexibility is required
- Lifting, standing, climbing, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, stretching, and carrying are generally required to perform the functions of this position
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000
Location/Region: Hawthorne, CA