SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
LEAD TOOLING ENGINEER
- Lead a team of tooling engineers on major projects including the design, analysis, fabrication, and integration of production tooling primarily at the Brownsville, TX production site
- Work to bring new critical capabilities on line and drive continual process optimizations to increase production rate, operational efficiency, and reduce cost across the site
- Work closely and coordinate with automation/controls engineering, weld engineering, vehicle engineering, and leadership teams to ensure system-level requirements are met with all designs
- Review and approve designs of team members, provide technical leadership through proficiency in mechanical design, and grow the skills and efficiency of the team
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering
- 3+ years of professional experience in mechanical CAD design and FEA analysis
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering
- Previous leadership experience
- Experience leading complex, multi-disciplinary design and build projects at SpaceX
- Experience with automated production tooling design
- Demonstrated project ownership in a field/hands-on/operational type role
- Experience with metallic fabrication processes – conventional and CNC milling/lathing, welding, waterjet, laser tracking, precision assembly
- 2+ years of experience with Siemens NX 8 or later
- Proficiency with at least two of the following FEA programs: ANSYS, NX Simulation, Femap
- Willing to travel
- Willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Location/Region: Brownsville, TX