(Traveling Diesel Mechanic)
We are Iowa Interstate Railroad. Because of our central location, the IAIS system connects with all North America's largest railroads and has intermodal facilities in Blue Island, Illinois, and Council Bluffs, Iowa. We have an exciting opportunity for a Machine Operator/Diesel Mechanic based in Newton, IA, and we’d like to welcome you aboard!
As Machine Operator, you will travel extensively operating and maintaining railroad track equipment by keeping them in a safe and proper working condition. Reporting to the Mobile Foreman and Roadmaster, you will prioritize work for repairing equipment, parts usage and selection. You will also monitor equipment logbooks to ensure that proper maintenance is being performed and all necessary repairs are being made. You will schedule light overhauls on equipment and ensure compliance of legal and regulatory issues affecting track equipment. In this role, you will also assist in setting schedules of procedures and maintenance. You will maintain and complete proper records, time rolls, material documents and work train reports, as well as unload ballast and distribute track material. Following company and government safety procedures is important, and you will need to be alert, use common sense, take necessary precautions (e.g., wearing/using protective clothes and equipment), and maintain an overall level of safety awareness when operating in your work environment. You must be qualified under Track Warrant Control, On-Track Worker Safety Rules, General Code of Operating Rules, Timetable, Safety Rules and Bridge Workers Safety within 60 days of hire.
· High school diploma or equivalent required
· 2 years’ mechanical background with heavy equipment - diesel, hydraulic
· Must possess and maintain a current valid driver’s license, be insurable under IAIS’s commercial auto policy throughout IAIS employment and be able to obtain and maintain a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) upon request
What You Can Expect from Us
- Family team-oriented culture
- Excellent compensation and overtime pay
- Full benefits package – Health, Dental, Vision insurance
- Railroad Retirement; STD, LTD; Paid holidays, vacation
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to read, understand, and abide by the General Code of Operating Rules
- Must abide by Federal Railroad Administration and other regulations as required by IAIS and the federal, state and local government
- Good decision maker
Iowa Interstate Railroad (IAIS) is a regional freight carrier and operates over 600 miles of track running from Omaha, Nebraska, to Chicago, passing through Iowa along the way. IAIS hauls cargo such as agricultural products, chemicals, coal, ethanol forest products, intermodal containers and trailers, and steel.
To start your next adventure, join our company. Apply online at www2.ourcareerplace.com/IAISRR to submit your updated resume for consideration.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Location/Region: Newton, IA